Below are recommendations. Each coach or administrator is encouraged to evaluate and decide how to use this information when making practice decisions. All temperatures refer to either the heat index or the wind chill temperatures.
The below are merely guidelines and it is the responsibility of parents to make the ultimate decision as to the participation of their child in CYC events when heat or cold may be a factor, taking into consideration the age and physical condition of their child. Parents also have the ultimate responsibility to inform their child about the dangers of heat or cold and need for protection, including proper hydration, dress, and sunscreen.
YELLOW Heat index between 81–98°
- Participants are in very little danger from heat and no special measures will be taken.
ORANGE Heat index between 99–104°
- Each player must have water to be allowed to play.
- Coach-monitored water break required for catchers during each half-inning.
- Coaches should instruct all players to stay hydrated and take frequent breaks.
RED Heat index between 105–110°
- CYC Districts will postpone or cancel all games until the heat index is below 105°. Notifications about cancelled games can be found on the District websites or the District’s Rainoutline.com
Low Risk ABOVE 40° Wind Chill
- Full activity. No restrictions.
Moderate Risk 39–20° Wind Chill
- Stay adequately hydrated. Coaches and players should wear layers of clothing.
High Risk 19–10° Wind Chill
- All previous measures should be taken.
- Cover head and neck to prevent heat loss.
- Give a warming break midway thru each half.
- Game lengths will be shortened by 5 minutes per half.
Extreme Risk 9° wind chill and below
- CYC Districts will postpone or cancel all games until the wind chill index is at 10° or above. Notifications about cancelled games can be found on the District websites or the District’s Rainoutline.com
When lightning is seen or thunder heard, games will be suspended for 20 minutes. No outdoor activities are to be resumed until 20 minutes after the last sign of lightning/thunder. For every sign observed, the 20-minute timer is reset.
All individuals must leave the site immediately and seek safe shelter which is considered any fully enclosed building that involves plumbing and/or electrical wires that act to electrically ground the structure. Equipment should be left on the field and retrieved once deemed safe. If such a shelter cannot be found, take shelter in any vehicle with a hard metal roof and closed windows.
Games will be cancelled if the anticipated delay is more than 30 minutes.
Inclement Weather – Basketball Games
It is the policy that when weather creates a challenge to attend league or tournament games, the District Chairs, in consultation with Parish Lay Directors, will decide as early as possible on the cancellation of such events.
All cancellations will be posted on the District websites or the District’s Rainoutline.com
Travel Safety – It is the responsibility of parents to make the ultimate decision as to the participation of their child in CYC events. If you feel it is unsafe for your family to travel, then please notify your child’s coach as soon as possible. The coach will notify the District Sports Chair so the other team is notified.