PLEASE NOTE: The first step in becoming a CYC Sports Official is to contact your parish Athletic Director.
All officials (on the field or at the scorer’s table) that are paid to officiate for the CYC in all sports will need to register with the CYC Sports Officials Association (CYC-SOA). All paid CYC Sports Officials are considered Independent Contractors, and as such must join the CYC-SOA. In order to join the CYC-SOA officials must:
- Register each year with the CYC-SOA – Registration for the 2020-2021 season will open July 1. The cost is $5.00 per official/scorekeeper for the whole year no matter if you officiate/scorekeep 1 or 1,000 games. To register with the CYC-SOA, CLICK HERE.
- Complete and submit a Federal Form W-9. Turn into all parish athletic association for which you work.
- Complete the requirements set forth by the Office of Child and Youth Protection as of January 2020. All steps are completed in your account on www.preventandprotectstl.org.
- Register onto the new site www.preventandprotectstl.org. Click here for instructions on creating your account. Be sure to associate yourself with any parish you would officiate at and CYC Coaches & Officials when creating your account.
- Attend a Protecting God’s Children Workshop. See the schedule of upcoming class dates.
- Officials 18 years of age and under and who have not graduated from high school are not required to attend.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check through the Office of Child and Youth Protection.
- Officials 18 and under and have not graduated from high school are not required to have a background check.
- Cost is a one time fee of $8.00 when you register as CYC Coaches & Officials. Some parishes may pay for your background check, so check with your Parish Child Safety Coordinator.
- Complete Mandated Reporter training (short video on prevent and protect website)
- Complete Code of Conduct training (short video on prevent and protect website)
- Read and sign the Archdiocesan Code of Ethical Conduct online in your account. Officials 18 and under and who have not graduated from high school must read and sign the Youth Code of Ethical Conduct for Minors and turn into their Parish Child Safety Coordinator.
- Attend an official’s clinic and pass an online open-book test.
* A W-9 needs to be submitted to each organization (parish athletic association) that will be paying you for your services.
** All forms and information should be submitted to the main parish or organization where the CYC Official will be officiating. Contact your parish Child Safety Coordinator for questions regarding your account or needed requirements for the Office of Child and Youth Protection.