Sports is a great way to connect with kids. As a coach, your players look up to you in many ways. As a CYC coach, you have a unique opportunity to strengthen the faith lives of your players. This can be done in a number of ways:
- Prayer, before and after practice, as well as the games. Prayer can be prepared or from the heart. Both can leave an effective.
- Attendance at Mass as a team. This is a great team-bonding activity. You could invite another team in your league to join you and foster some community building.
- Take on a service project, as a team, within your parish. Stress the importance of putting the needs of others before your own.
CYC coaches should model the values of our faith on the court/field and when you are away from the game. Your kids are looking for proper guidance. The respect they have for you as a coach will leave a lasting impression of their lives. Don’t miss this opportunity to make a difference.
- Digital Book of Sports Prayers
- Pope Francis Quotes on Sports as Ministry
- Giving the Best of Yourself- A document on sports from the Vatican
Pre-Game Prayer Example:
Dear Heavenly Father,
Thank you for this day and the opportunity You have given us to participate in this sporting event.
Lord,watch over these players and keep them safe from harm as they test their skills against each other. We ask that You help the players, coaches, officials and parents treat each other as they would want to be treated – with respect, love, understanding, patience and appreciation. With your assistance, we can together be a shining example of our Catholic, Christian faith and ideals.
Finally, give all of us the wisdom to make sportsmanship, the enjoyment of competition and the lessons learned from competition more important than the final score of the game.
In Jesus’ name we pray