The CYC would be nothing without so many excellent coaches, dedicated to helping their team members achieve success and spiritual growth, both on and off the field. The CYC provides as many resources as possible to help coaches reach this goal.
The CYC also requires that all adult coaches and those adults working with youth meet Archdiocesan requirements set forth by the Office of Child and Youth Protection as of January 2020. All steps are completed in your account on www.preventandprotectstl.org.
- Register on www.preventandprotectstl.org. Click here for instructions on creating your account.
- Attend a Protecting God’s Children Workshop. See the schedule of upcoming class dates.
- Coaches 18 years of age and under and who have not graduated from high school are not required to attend.
- Complete a Criminal Background Check through the Office of Child and Youth Protection.
- Coaches 18 and under and have not graduated from high school are not required to have a background check.
- Cost is a one-time fee of $8.00 if registering with the CYC office. Some parishes may pay for your background check, so check with your Parish Child Safety Coordinator.
- Complete Mandated Reporter training (short video on prevent and protect website)
- Complete Code of Conduct training (short video on prevent and protect website)
- Read and sign the Archdiocesan Code of Ethical Conduct online in your account. Coaches 18 and under and who have not graduated from high school must read and sign the Youth Code of Ethical Conduct for Minors and turn into their Parish Child Safety Coordinator.
All Coaches and Managers
All Coaches and Managers (who are 18 years of age and over/out of high school) of Kindergarten through 8th Grade teams must take a CYC Sports Coaches Training Program. Upon completion of the online course coaches will receive their Coaching Number and will need to apply for a CYC Coaches ID card.
Coaches for High School Divisions
Coaches for High School Divisions do not need to take the Coaching to Make a Positive Difference course; however they do need a CYC Coaching ID Card. Please call the CYC Sports Office at (314) 792-7256 to obtain an assigned Coaching Number.
Coaches who are under 18 years of age
Coaches who are under 18 years of age must read and sign the Minor’s Code of Ethical Conduct and return it to their parish office. They can use their CYC Youth ID Card, but the roster must reflect that they are a youth coach. They do not need to take the online course, and they do not need a coaching ID number.